What's New in This Version
The Labatts have been purchased. The fireworks, successfully smuggled. And the party playlist has been curated to crystal perfection: Céline Dion, nonstop for twelve hours.
Welcome to Transit, Saint-Jean-Baptiste edition. Because while Canada Day prep has the rest of Canada in the grips of maple fever, and July 4th has our Yankee neighbours baking apple pies, strapping firecrackers on their drones, and banging the Indiana Jones theme song out on the Liberty Bell like it’s their national bongo, we here in Québec have a national holiday all to ourselves. Saint-Jean-Baptiste. Replete with spruce beer, smoked meat, bagels, and Mamie’s famous Tourtière du Lac-Saint-Jean. (Just don’t make us eat it, Mamie.)
Here’s what we’ve been busy working on, as our kids play unattended in the beaver corral:
- Made crowding info more prominent (in cities where it’s available)
- We started selling tickets in-app in San Bernardino, CA (Omnitrans); Dayton, OH (RTA); and St. Louis, MO (Metro Transit)
- When “walking” is the fastest trip option, we now put it first in the trip planner results
- Miscellaneous bug fixes
We’ll leave it at that! Tune in next time for more substantive surprises. Now it’s time to embark on the national sport of climbing a pine tree. (Just kidding, that’s British Columbia.) Rate us five stars with your Québec playlist suggestions — and have yourselves a great Saint-Jean!
PS: spot a bug? We’re on Twitter @transitapp :)
"Gives you the best route to where you want to go" - New York Times
“You won't realize how much time you can save planning until you use this app” - LA Times
“Killer app” - WSJ
"MBTA has a favorite transit app — and it's called Transit" - Boston Globe
Transit is your real-time urban travel companion. Navigate your city’s public transit system with accurate real-time predictions, simple trip planning, step-by-step navigation, service disruption notifications, and departure and stop reminders... all presented in a clear, bold interface. Public transport not cooperating? Easily request a ride from Uber, Lyft or VIA, or grab the closest bikeshare.
10 GREAT THINGS YOU CAN DO WITH TRANSIT:
1) See real-time arrivals for nearby buses and trains instantly upon launch.
2) Watch your transit vehicle approaching on a map in real-time
3) Compare options with powerful A to B trip plans using real-time data.
4) Launch GO for step-by-step navigation when you’re on an unfamiliar route or want to nap/read/space out.*
5) Receive departure alarms and stop notifications as well as prompts to pick up the pace in GO.*
6) Get push notifications if service disruptions will affect your commute.
7) Plan trips, view transit schedules and get route itineraries—even when you’re offline!
8) Locate bikeshare stations, see the number of bikes available, pay for passes, and unlock bikes (in select cities).
9) Check ETA (and price) for nearby Uber, Lyft and VIA rides, and book in two taps.
10) Easily plan and pay for a trip combining Uber, Lyft, or VIA with transit. We call it Transit+
*continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
5-STAR USER REVIEWS
“Your app was the deciding factor in selling my car”
“Blows Google Maps out of the water.”
"Probably the best thing on my phone, no joke."
“The head of our local transit agency recommended this app over the one her agency created.”
"Truly ingenious work here. Honestly, these guys should be in charge of actual public transportation itself."
Transit works in 200+ cities across North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand (see USA list below).
Baltimore (MTA*, RTA, Charm City Circulator*)
Boston (MBTA*, Massport, MetroWest RTA, Brockton Area Transit (BAT), Lowell RTA, Plymouth & Brockton S. R. Co., CATA)
Chicago (CTA*, Pace, Metra, NICTD)
Hartford (CTTransit, CTFastrak*)
Los Angeles (Metro*, OCTA*, Metrolink, LADOT*, Omnitrans, RTA, Burbank Bus, Torrance Transit Foothill Transit*, Big Blue Bus*, Beeline*)
Miami (MDT*, BCT, Palm Tran*, Tri-Rail)
New York City (NYC Subway*, MTA Buses*, LIRR*, Metro-North*, NJ Transit*, PATH, SI Ferry, NICE*, Bee-Line, RI Tram, NY Waterway, AirTrain, CTTransit, CTFastrak*)
Philadelphia (SEPTA*, NJ Transit*, PATCO)
Salt Lake City*
San Diego (MTS*, NCTD*)
San Francisco (BART*, MUNI*, Caltrain*, AC Transit*, VTA*, County Connection*, Golden Gate Transit, SamTrans, Sonoma County Transit, Healdsburg Transit, Cloverdale Transit, Marin Transit)
Seattle (Metro Transit*, City of Seattle*, King County Marine Division, Sound Transit*, Pierce Transit, Kitsap Tours, Everett Transit)
Washington DC (DC Metro / Bus*, DC Circulator*, Ride On*, Arlington Transit*, Fairfax Connector, MTA, VRE*, PRTC)
+ Many more
* Uses real-time predictions & vehicle locations for some or all routes.
Transit also works in cities around the world. View select cities below and the full list at transitapp.com